Make up, Football and Me :)

I have always thought of myself as a bit of a contradiction. Growing up, I thought I was a tom boy. I was definitely into football and rugby and all kinds of so called "male" dominated sports: But then, I liked make up, and looking pretty. Not pinky pretty, you understand. I hated pink. My mother was so delighted at having me after two boys that everything was girly pinky crap. Dolls and prams and other such girl toys were bought. I gave them all away. When I was just 4 years old my baby brother was born. My mum had miscarried twins, so the excitement was huge. I immediately took over and became surrogate mum. Why play with dolls and prams when you could have the real thing, eh?
                                                       So time passed and my brother grew. I had a passing interest in football at this point. We used to go to Manchester every summer for our hols, and as my relatives lived right beside Old Trafford we were given the tour every time. I was unimpressed, but tried hard for a time to support Man Utd. One day someone bought my younger brother a football. It was the best present ever. We lived in a housing estate that had huge walls and used to practice our kicking against them. I used the prospect of bringing my brother out for football to my advantage, the age old bribery trick. It was around this time that the boys on the estate started to notice me. Not for my good looks you understand, but for my right foot! It was also around this time that I began to like Arsenal FC. In the early 60's my Dad lived and worked in and around the Woolwich area. We used to go there to see aunties and uncles and it fascinated me.The family would talk about Arsenal as my brother and Dad were supporters.  The history of the club, the way they played everything about them I loved. This was in the late 70's early 80's so obviously they had moved to Highbury some 50 or so years previous. Lack of trophies around that time didn't sway my opinion either. I knew they would come good. Terry Neil was the manager when they won the FA cup, my first vague memory, then Don Howe and a short caretaker stint by Steve Burtenshaw. The most memorable manager at that point for me was George Graham though. Was it because I was a bit older by then or because we won loads? prob a mix of the two!.I have since been to Highbury many times, and the Emirates a few times too. I stood in awe at the great marble hall. I've sat in Wenger's chair. I've been in the dressing rooms.I have to say, Wenger is my favourite manager. Things haven't been great this season, but I will always keep the faith. To be a manager or a player of a team of invincibles one has to be a pretty special person.Ask Preston North End. I can't imagine supporting another team. There's always banter between the fans, but at the end of the day I think we can all appreciate good football. Something Arsenal play regularly, sometimes showing off too much! My favourite outfield player would have to be Dennis Nicolaas Bergkamp. Absolute legend.
                                                             As for my own playing "career"... I played in goals for many years. I was very good, very well known for my stopping skills. Even managed to score a few goals. Set up lots of them too. I was always first to be picked for both football and rugby. I was asked to try out for the Ireland ladies football team. I had to decline as I found out I was pregnant with my first child the day before. Life eh? A few years ago I was playing a 5-a-side tournament against men. In the final one of them got  frustrated that he couldn't score against me and decided to take it out on the ball. There was some power in the shot, but I saved it. Only to hear several loud cracks. Three smashed fingers, a broken wrist and my left index finger was so dislocated that it had twisted around the wrong way. It didn't hurt at the time to be honest. I actually twisted my finger back the right way,and finished the game. We won the cup, and as captain I had to lift it. Shortly there after I calmly rang my Dad to bring me to the hospital. He found me crying with the pain. Needless to say, my hand is useless now. I decided to retire from football thereafter.Best to watch others playing, and cast my critical eye over it! Bob Wilson was my inspiration when I was younger. What A legend! A great keeper, and a sound bloke :)

SharonAnn
                                               

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time