Little Legs

I'm Not Short, I'm Fun Sized

Some of the trending topics on twitter make me shake my head. Like yesterday, tweet my height was trending. I mean, why? Why does the twitterverse need to know that I'm only 4'11''. Yes people, I am under 5ft tall. Then I thought well why not? I used to have a thing about being short. Not any more though.
                                                                   In my house, everyone is taller than me. It's not fun. I am constantly being reminded of the fact that I am over a foot shorter than most of the residents. Even my 15 yr old daughter, who I used to call mini me (for obvious reasons) is taller than me. Now I like to think I hide it well. Heels are a life saver. But when you get caught jumping because it's the only way to get the item you need from a high shelf you leave yourself open to having the mick taken. It's the ....ahem ...little things that annoy me. Getting onto bar stools is a nightmare. then getting down again is worse! Having got onto said bar stool, the sight of me and my little legs swinging is comical. So yea....I've been called all the names....little legs...short arse...shorty...and when I go to America on holidays it's so much worse! Everything is so much bigger and wider and taller and it makes me feel like I'm in an episode of "Land of the Giants". Most times, my other half has to stifle the urge to lift me like a child and plonk me onto seats etc. He's 6'4'' with a 54'' shoulder span. So you can imagine when we walk anywhere together it looks comical. Many's the time I've had to stand on a step to have a wee kiss!
                                                             All of the platitudes don't change anything either. Do the best goods come in the smallest packages? Sometimes, but not always! Of course I was destined to be short. My grandfather was a lovely man, typically Irish, with a penchant for whiskey and cigarettes. He was 4'6''. My father is barely 5ft with an inside leg measurement of 26''. Buying clothes is a nightmare. Leg length is always too long. Sleeve length is always too long. Even the body length is off.  I've often been out with the girls for a few drinks and some big bloke who thinks he's in with a chance decides to physically lift me and carry me off. And when people used to say "don't smoke, it stunts your growth" I believed them! Liars! I've never smoked in my life...did it help me grow taller? NO!
                                                            Smaller people do tend to get ignored a lot ( mostly because they can't be seen over counters etc) so what do we do? We develop a part of our personality that gets us noticed. In my case it's my hair. Yup, try ignoring that one! Everywhere I go people notice it. Sometimes they're unkind, but for the most part they love it. But the most important thing is, I love it. It breaks the ice, and starts conversations. I've always wondered what it would be like to be 6 inches taller, but you know what? I'm happy! (no seven dwarves jokes please) if I was taller I wouldn't be me.and that's too much of a sacrifice to make. So I embrace my littleness, and tell people "I'm not short, I'm funsized"

SharonAnn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time