Remember

“Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.” 



Aren't memories funny things? I mean, you can be there just minding your own business, and suddenly a smell or a sound can trigger something deep inside you and stop you in your tracks. When my mum died I found myself taking her jumpers etc and smelling them. Like that was the only way I could remember her. Or when my kids were small and I couldn't be with them for whatever reason I'd spray their blankies with my perfume so as they would feel closer to me, and perhaps not miss me too much. Whenever I brought them to play in the park I would tell them to take in the smell of the fresh cut grass, or the stinky pond and always remember it. I'll never forget the sound of the swan mum when she was protecting her young by that pond. Wow. 

When I was young, we didn't have a lot. Money was tight and my parents did their best. I am the third of four children and as was the norm I had my fair share of hand me downs. Only prob was I'm an only girl, so no surprise I was a tomboy then! One of my favourite memories was my dad bringing me home a packet of Rolo on payday. Sure didn't love anyone enough to give them my last one though! He still brings me something nice on a friday when he comes for tea. 

My grandad was an amazing man. He was only around 4 ft tall and played many instruments. He loved a wee whiskey, and he used to send us to the off licence to buy his naggons for him. So the smell of Jameson whiskey evokes a memory of him, a small smiling man who always had cool stories to tell us and cool songs to play. My granny, a very stubborn and strong willed woman used to always give me tea and digestive biscuits when I went to her house. So I always associate them with her. 

True enough, memories can be hard to remember. Not everything in life is sweetness and light.For many many years I've struggled with bad ones. Being horribly bullied in school and at home. Feeling isolated and alone. Losing people I loved and focusing on the events leading up to that loss. You see, I have the type of memory that plays things over and over again. It makes my head hurt. I'm trying to stop it though. Because I've realised, a kind of light bulb moment if you like, that we can choose to remember the good times. That's not to say that we forget the tough times, because everything happens for a reason and is part of the journey that makes us, makes me, who I am. No, we can remember the tough times, but remember how strong we were to get through those tough times and come out the other side. 

So, I'm focusing on trying to keep up the good vibes, remembering the good times and most of all, giving my kids and myself the most opportunities to create good memories, and good times. As I well know, the opportunities can be taken away in the blink of an eye. So go on, make yourself a happy memory, even a little one, every day. We all deserve it!

SharonAnn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time