Skip to main content

Stand and Stare...


What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this is if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

This poem by William H Davis, called Leisure has always been one of my favourites. It has been on my mind a lot lately for a couple of reasons. I thought I might explain them, since a lot of people have asked me. 

As many know, I have grown up children. That may sound like a contradiction in terms, but the fact is they are and always will be your children. Doesn't matter how old or young they are. You love them just as much if they are 2 or 22. Anyhoo, I digress: My eldest, Jamie, is living abroad in Spain for a year. It's part of his degree, and is compulsory. He was able to come home for Easter and we had some fun times. Sadly, he's gone back for 12 weeks and I'm re living the heartbreak all over again. Christmas was the same. I can only describe it as having part of my heart ripped from my chest. It hurts like a mofo. Yes, it's not a million miles away. Yes it's not forever. Yes it has to be done. Yes I'm going to visit him soon. Does any of this really matter to me, his mother? Not a bit of it. You see, common sense doesn't work in this situation. It feels like last week I was making his bottles and changing his nappy. It's not just about the fact I miss our chats and our laughs cause skype helps with that. And I know he still needs me. It feels more like I'm mourning the fact that he will come back and he will have changed. He already has. He now knows the harsh reality of real life. The worry of making ends meet; and paying your bills. He has already admitted that being a grown up sucks. So yea, the real reason I'm so sad is my baby has had to face the reality of real life and it has changed him. As parents our instinct is to protect our children and wrap them in cotton wool and never let anything upset or harm them. The realisation that this is not always possible is very hard to take. My point in all of this? I guess it's that time goes by so very very quickly. Before you know it the same child that fit neatly on one arm is packing a bag to leave. So make your time count. Let them be kids and enjoy them. Help them make the best memories they can possibly have, so when they're feeling overwhelmed they can find comfort in those thoughts and know that you are there as their soft place to fall. Take the time to stop and stare. Stop rushing around trying to do all and be all and give them a most precious gift. Your time.

The second reason I've been thinking of this poem lately is the impending anniversary of my mother's death. 10th April 2008 she was taken from me and it feels like yesterday. I think of all of the events and memories that we shared. She was young when she died, but we shared some fun times. We had a lot of laughs. She helped and guided me with my children and they all had very happy times with her too. Yes we had our differences, but we got through them. I swear, If I hadn't taken the time to stop and enjoy even the little things I would go off my head. I can say, without a doubt that I did everything I possibly could for her and I find comfort in that. I also think of all the memories and events that she hasn't been a part of. It makes me so angry when people are disrespectful to their mam. Her death was sudden and unexpected and I would give anything for her to be here today.

So there you go, it's going to be a tough few days for me but I'l get through it.I'm strong and I'm stubborn just like my mother. If I've learned anything it's this...enjoy the now. Take everything a day at a time. Do what makes you happy, even if it's something as small as having tea and cake with a loved one. Make time for the people you love, and tell them every day. Don't wish your or your kids lives away. Let it happen and enjoy it. All too soon there's no more time to stop and stare, and those goodbyes are the hardest to say.

SharonAnn 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time