One in Four

I haven't written a blog for a couple of months, because I've been busy with life and school. Yesterday though a report was published in Ireland that kinda made me angry. So I'm goina vent it here.

I have been working and teaching in the Early Years sector in Ireland for nearly 16 years. In that time, as you can imagine I have come into contact with lots of families. The families I work with are mostly from disadvantaged backgrounds. They have little or no income to speak of, in spite of the fact that my town is considered posh! There are a lot of rich people living here, but also there are pockets of disadvantage. I chose to teach children in this area as I am from a poor background myself. Indeed I was given a chance to escape, and due to hard work and dedication I'm doing ok!
                       Over the past few years our Government have been putting together a report into "growing up in Ireland". Some of the results were published yesterday and they made me mad! (www.growingup.ie) The report has found that one in every four children growing up in Ireland is obese. And the attitude is "oh let's throw our hands up in the air and say how terrible it all is" My attitude is "What are we going to do about it?" Hand wringing and "woe is me" attitudes get us nowhere. These are very important little people and we need to look after their well being!
                                            In my pre-school we have a "healthy eating policy". I'm constantly amazed that some parents don't even know the meaning of this! Healthy eating doesn't just happen. It has to be instilled from weaning and continued even in the face of tantrums!
                                                 Healthy eating is as much a part of looking after children as clothing them and keeping them safe. In my opinion, to neglect this area of care is tantamount to abuse! Parents need to be educated in how to introduce fresh fruit and vegetables into their children's diet early enough for them to acquire a taste for them.Everybody deserves a treat, and there is no doubt that our children are there to be spoiled; treats are just that, an occasional thing. In my school if a child brings in something forbidden, it is sent home! Some parents give out to us for not allowing their child have the sugary treat!
                                                     Being a parent is a very difficult job, and I know we all do what we think is best. It is no harm to read the label on food items to check the nutritional value of them, but people it's ok to say NO to your child sometimes! Be a parent in more than name!
                                                 The Government and food manufacturers need to take some responsibility for this situation too. So many foods have added sugar, added salt and added God knows what. Surely this should not be allowed to happen? I am always amazed that some children don't know where their food comes from. You ask them and they say "the supermarket!". I mean seriously, is fresh wholesome food that difficult to come by? Aren't we our children's first role models? Can't we lead by example?
                                                      A lot of families lead very sedentary lifestyles today. How many children go out on the street to play? How many of them know the games we used to play when we were younger? How many of them are plonked down in front of a TV/Games consul/pc and left there? Exercise is a very important part of children's lives. Whether that is walking, playing in the park,running with their friends or basically anything that gets them moving. It doesn't have to cost money, and if safety is an issue get out there and do it with them! Lots of my own children's memories are of me spending time with them out in the fresh air skipping/chasing/walking/running and having FUN !My daughter still talks fondly of the day we got kitted out in our raincoats and wellies and played in the lashing rain, and the puddles! So we're making memories too!
                                   Basically I feel we need to be proactive when it comes to the information contained in this report. Let's have a national campaign to get our kids moving, and eating the right kinds of foods, in the right portions. Otherwise the future does not look good!



SharonAnn
                                                 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time