girl toys v boy toys

This time of the year, all younger children can think about is Christmas. It's a lovely time of year, full of celebrations etc. It's not the same for me since my kids grew up, but I enjoy it all the same. What drives me mad about Christmas? Advertisements on the tv. From what kinds of food we should be having, to what kind of clothes we should be wearing. The worst of  all being toy advertisements on tv. In particular the way they are aimed at children in a sometimes stereo typical gender specific kind of way, i.e. girls play with so called "girl toys" and boys play with so called "boy toys".
              Indeed, it can be found in most toy shops. Whether we realise it or not, everything is segregated into "pink and fluffy" or "blue and red" departments. In my job I have to buy new equipment from time to time, and recently I needed to buy a play kitchen. Do you know how difficult it is to try and find a toy kitchen that is not pink or pink related? I got one eventually with great difficulty. Why did I want a non pink kitchen? Because the boys in preschool refuse to play with a pink kitchen: "Pink is for girls" apparently!It seems they are conditioned in this way from birth! Even the girls refuse to let the boys play with the dolls in preschool because "Boys play with cars, girls play with dolls" Not taught in preschool, I can assure you!
                        We have had many boys in the classes who love to dress up. Dresses, high heels earrings the lot. Very often when parents see this they object strongly. I refuse to tell a child they can't play with a toy, unless they would be in personal danger to do so. One parent refused to allow their child back into our classroom because we refused to stop their child putting on his favourite pink tutu every day.My eldest son asked Santa for a doll and a pram for Christmas one time and my father went mad because that's exactly what Santa brought!

                  Anyway, I guess my point is this: Life has enough crap to throw at our children, growing up is hard enough. I think we should let them be children, let them play with what ever toys they choose, let them embrace and develop their imagination and cognitive skills. Try not to project society's prejudices upon them. And try not to buy into the whole pink for girls, blue for boys philosophy. I am living proof that wearing your brother's hand-me-downs and playing with their toys does one no harm!


SharonAnn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time