A happy family is but an earlier heaven. George Bernard Shaw

Family is the most important thing in the world.



People often ask me what I do for a living. So I've decided to base this blog on an explanation of same. I love children. I couldn't eat a whole one though..... Corny jokes aside, I've always been interested in the care and development of children. I think I inherited this trait from my mum. So I raised my family while going to college and earning my qualifications. And working at the same time. Busy stuff. 

I worked my way up from being a volunteer at my local playgroup to paid employment for that playgroup, to owning the business. So I have my own little pre-school. My family are shareholders, and we all try to help each other. I deal with the day to day running of the school, the admin, the government bodies, the grantors etc. 

We are different to most playgroups/pre-schools though. We run a whole family service. This means we value the importance of the whole family in the child's life, recognising that home life can influence school life and vice versa. Our fee schedule is based on the family income level, therefor lower waged or underprivileged families are able to apply for grants to keep their fees low. This helps these families return to education etc and thus improve their quality of life. There are no special criteria to qualify for places, so we often have politicians children mixing and making friends with poorer children. We are also non denominational, non religious. We have many ethnicities and nationalities mixing and playing together. 

I am from a poorer background myself. I worked hard to get myself out of the rut I was in. I had a bit of luck, good friends, and the drive to get where I am today. I was told in school I would amount to nothing. I think I've proved them wrong. 
I work with social services, government bodies, children's charities and other state bodies. I have to write reports regarding certain families. Part of my portfolio is in child protection. This is the hardest part of my job. I get quite upset when I have to report certain things but as always the child's safety and well being are my main concern. These are the times when it's very difficult to walk away. 

I give lectures and talks about Early years care and education too. Parents are always asking me for advice. Behaviour therapy and intellectual development are my speciality. Very often my advice to parents is just to slow down and enjoy their time with their children. It goes by far too quickly. 

So we're getting ready for the new term to begin again. Lots of new children to settle in, and some older children to get ready for "big" school. Every year I dread going back, moan about how much work I have to do to be prepared for the coming year, and swear that I'm resigning and not coming back: However, in June when the graduation ceremony is on and they're all there in their wee caps and gowns ready to move on, I know that I've done all I can for these little people and their families.

SharonAnn


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time