Victoria Concordia Crescit

There are so many things I could post about right now, so much crap in my head it's unreal. I have chosen to write about a subject I am very passionate about however. A subject I have stayed very quiet about of late. My beloved Arsenal Football Club.

I have sat back and read and heard opinions galore from so called fans and non fans alike. I respect other peoples' opinions, however I do feel that some people need to have a word with themselves. The negativity coming from certain people is immeasurable. I've read some stuff that makes my blood boil. For example;

If you don't go to matches week in week out you're not a 'real' fan ..........Rubbish
If you do go to matches week in week out you're a mug...........................crap
You can only be a real fan if you live there...............what?
People sitting in armchairs know more about the team than Wenger...........dross
Women don't know the offside rule.......................crap
Wenger needs to go............Maybe
The board needs to go.........probably
Fourth place is great..............not really
fourth place is shit...........not really

And lots more besides. I have followed Arsenal for a long long time. In fact I probably have jerseys older than most fans are. My father is a gooner. My brother is a gooner. My husband is a gooner. My son is a gooner. I have supported them during the crap days and the good days. My earliest memory is the cup final in 1979.Winning against Man Utd was epic. 3-2 in the last minute. Classic. Then the lean times until George Graham brought glory once more. Thus followed league cup, league title win (last minute against Liverpool) another league title losing only one match  a double, and a cup winners cup. A good manager, pity about the bribes though.
                                I remember the Bruce Rioch era. Briefly. Then the introduction of a less well known frenchman, Arsene Wenger. He is, by his record the most successful Arsenal Manager in history. In my opinion he deserves so much credit for same. All those titles and consistency cannot be overlooked. Maybe it's time for a fresh pair of eyes, but all respect needs to be given to Wenger.

My favourite players range from Liam Brady, Bob Wilson, David Seaman to Mark Overmars, Robert Pires, Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp. My favourite season has to be the Invincibles season when we went unbeaten. I was in Highbury for the Man Utd match. On the way to the ground Sky Sports interviewed us and we were pumped! I was sitting behind the goal for Henry's screamer. It was amazing. The excitement and buzz around the ground was something else. It felt like a real family.

So to sit on twitter and read snotty little runts comments about every aspect of our game really pisses me off. As I said earlier I've no issue with people's opinions. If fans want to protest and make their issues known in a competent manner that's fine. But turning on each other, taking the Mick out of each other, saying this person's not a real fan, and that person is not a real fan is just nonsense. Of course change needs to happen, and it will. It's inevitable. It's all been done before. But let's stand together, as fans and supporters. Let's not forget how proud we are to be gooners. Behave with dignity and respect, and leave the in fighting to those who have no class. Be proud to be a gooner with a respectable history. Let the plastic, fair weather fans piss off and buy new jerseys for next season. I know in my heart I will always be a fan, and a supporter of Arsenal FC and nothing anybody says or does will make me change my mind.

Victoria Concordia Crescit
Victory Grows Out Of Harmony


SharonAnn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time