"All that is. All that was. All that ever could be."




“There's a story behind everything..but behind all your stories is always your mother's story..because hers is where yours begins.” 
― Mitch AlbomFor One More Day


I am writing this blog with sadness in my heart. Sadly my mum-in-law passed away recently. She had been sick with cancer for a while, but it was sudden in the end. Herself and my other half had an unconventional relationship to say the least, but out of respect for them both I'm not going to get in to that. This is my blog after all and as I always tell people, It's all about me.

I got on very well with Pat. (The mum-in-law, same name as my OH, but henceforth it refers to her)
She was a lovely, gentle caring woman. We stayed with her a few times when we went to London. She adored her grandchildren. And they adored her. We shared many a few jars, stories told and craic was had. It was a big big shock to us all.

I was home last week and the phone rang. I got to the phone too late and realised the number was english. I finally realised who it was, and I got the dread feeling in my tummy. She hadn't rang in a long long time and I guess common sense tells you it's not gonna be good news. So we eventually got through to family and were told that she had passed away. I can honestly say, hand on my heart, that breaking this kind of news to your kids is completely heart and gut wrenching. For the second time in their lives they've lost a granny. And for the second time I've had to tell them.

I'm kind of clumsy when it comes to things like this. I just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind and believe me it's not always appropriate! So I just blurted it out, and everyone was very upset and confused.
I had decided I wasn't going to the funeral. I am not in the best of health atm and of course there's a back story which I'm not getting in to. But after lots of soul searching I've decided to go.So I'm going to London to the funeral, where I will say the final farewell. I've heard that Pat was stubborn to the last,
and refused to give up smoking as it was already too late. She was very strong willed and I've heard she was a formidable lady when she was younger.
I truly hope that she is at peace at last. I hope she is pain free, and happy.
I have this mental picture, that somewhere Pat and my mam are sitting having a cuppa and setting the world to rights as they did on the rare occasions they met.
I will always remember her fondly, and be grateful that she was in our lives, even though it was brief.
We'll hug each other a little bit tighter, we'll have our tears, and we'll support each other through it.
All the while realising how precious life is, and how quickly it can change.RIP


SharonAnn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time