Back To School



So it is that time of the year again, when all talk turns to going back to school. All over the world students of all ages have started back or are about to start back to school/college/uni. Indeed my twitter time line has been full of angst from students about how awful it is to be going back. I remember it well. Money was non-existant in our house when I was younger, so my mam always bought VALUE FOR MONEY uniforms. This meant ill fitting new uniforms that were two sizes too big, or hand me downs. Not good when you are an only girl with three brothers.I remember everything being scratchy, and my shoes cutting my feet! I survived however.


Then time passed as is it's wont until I had children of my own going to school: And yes, I fell into the value for money trap. I did try to make sure they got what they wanted, as opposed to what they needed but old habits die hard. I used to dread all the fuss made about books, copies, pencils and the like. During this time I decided to go back to college myself. So there was four lots of books etc needed in the house. Fun times. Having to go to special shops to get uniforms and pay hefty prices for them didn't amuse me at all. Then as a parent, one worries about the school one sends their children to. Is it any good? Will they like it? What second level school does it feed?


Then I became a teacher myself. Woah, a whole different ball game there. So much to think about. Plans for learning, New children settling in. Trying to make a connection with them. Getting to know new families. The never ending paperwork. The phone calls. The crying. (Not just from the children by the way). I teach very young children and most times we have issues with parents crying when they're going and their children are fine!

So now, as the new school year begins in earnest I'm hoping for an enjoyable term to come. My baby is leaving home for a year to study in Salamanca University in Spain (he's 21 btw) so I am feeling very sad. I know he will be more than ok, as I have encouraged all of my children to be self sufficient and independent. But we are great pals, we have a lot of laughs together; we do argue but it never lasts long. We have this kind of connection that we just know what each other is thinking. So yes, I am sad. However I am also very excited for him and very proud of him. No-one in our family has done anything like this before. There's always skype etc and he's not a millon miles away. I feel again like it is his first day at school all those years ago. Another big adventure. Meanwhile I shall continue on my adventure, helping and teaching those very young children and their parents to begin their own.

Finally, to all those students moaning because they don't want to go back to school: It works both ways you know! Most teachers feel exactly the same way!


SharonAnn



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assumptions

Hide In The Toilet!

One Day at A Time